A quick word about spammers. I had trouble with robots registering to this blog for unknown reasons. I have since added Math Captcha which seems to have stopped this. However, in cleaning out the spam users, I may have nicked legit users and comments. If you got nicked, I apologize. Please register again and I hope this doesn’t happen again — I’ll try my best.
Portion of Rear Axle Tunnel to be Removed
It’s been tough the last month to find time for the MC850, just too much work needed on the farm, and the older I get, the slower I go. The rear wheel housings need repair in the area of the shock absorber reinforcements so I decided to remove the rest of the back side of the axle tunnel to get better access. I’ll replace it with the uncut one from the donor which will give me the benefit of eliminating one seam weld. So, some more spot weld drilling. I decided to replace the whole spring support and shock support area because the donor car was like new in that area. You can see what I cut out in this photo, but to read a whole lot more detail, and to see how the ducklings are doing, please continue reading.
Section of Rear Wheel Housing to be Replaced
Most of Axle Tunnel Metal Removed
By the way, cobalt spot weld drill bits aren’t the way to go, except for very hard steels. The bit’s pilots are too brittle and break within 6 uses. Good HSS spot weld bits are best for this old Saab’s mild steel. Since I was planning on trashing what I cut out, instead of cutting the tack welds, I just cut the metal to within an inch of the welds with my angle grinder and a 1 mm cutting disk, Then, I nibbled the remnants and ground the welds down to a smooth surface.
Tack Welds Ground Flush
Inside Axle Tunnel – Left
A bonus from removing this part of the axle tunnel is that I can inspect and clean inside the tunnel. Fortunately, it’s solid and needs only cleaning, and some painting for rust prevention.
Inside Axle Tunnel – Right
I showed the prtion of the left-side wheel housing I removed above. It was easiest to cut from inside the trunk, but easy to see where the cut line should be from outside. So, I drilled 1/8″ holes from the outside to mark points. Then, on the inside, I connected the dots with a marking pen, and cut along the lines with my angle grinder and 1 mm disc. On the donor, I did the same, except I cut about 1/2″ larger where I will have to make seam welds. The photo is the section I cut from the donor car, and you can see how good it is.
Donor Wheel Housing Section
While the donor section was out and could be manipulated, I decided it was a good time to do some rust-proofing that would otherwise be difficult. I taped up the bottom openings of the spring support, and poured a large quantity of primer into the spring support. I taped the remaining openings and shook and rotated the section to make sure it was all coated. I removed the tape and let excess primer drain. I also sprayed primer into the edges of the shock support and spring support and allowed it to run under wherever possible.
Rustproofing Donor Spring Support Section
New Duckling Enclosure by Pond
Back to the 11 ducklings I rescued on May 9. All 11 and mother are doing well. After about 2-1/2 weeks, the chicken coop was too messy and hot, so I built an enclosure, complete with with electric fencing, by our 50×80 foot pond and transferred them there — more work. That took some planning, and the mother was not cooperative, and very tough to catch and hang onto, but we got it done. They now had fresh air and could get adjusted to outdoor life.
Ramp for Ducklings When Released
Ducklings 1st day in Pond at 3-1/2 weeks.
After a week in the new enclosure, the ducklings were so big I decided to let them into the pond. I had to add fencing around the pond to keep them in and predators out — more work. The first photo is on their first day in the pond, at about 3-1/2 weeks. The 2nd photo is on their 3rd day in the pond. They have grown so much since then, I expect them to fly soon. A lot of work, but a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment.
Ducklings 3rd Day in Pond
Well, this will have to do till next time, which I hope will be sooner.